Saturday, November 8, 2014

Was it Jill? I don't know ~ it was a blur in the water



Jill Fleming

Jill Fleming swims like a fish. She's also been known to sit in the Wieland and row her heart out when asked to do so.  Like many members of our club, she's all smiles and encouraging to others so of course we wanted to scratch the surface to know more about her, (our questions in blue italic).

Why did you join the Dolphin Club?
I was training for the Trans-Tahoe Relay when a friend suggested I try cold water swimming. I visited the Dolphin Club as a guest and I loved it. I joined about 3 years ago even though it was suggested I might fit in better at the South End Rowing Club because I swore sometimes. I joined here as I felt loyal.

Do you have any special stories or memories you'd like to share?
I have a story of my one and only panic attack. I was out by the Aquatic Park opening, all of a sudden I started thinking I was going to die for no logical reason. My head was stronger than my rational mind, I got panicky, I flipped over and started singing a song that I used to sing with my sister "Bed knobs and broomsticks,"  it was my peaceful place that focused my mind. I was able to get through it okay of course but it was interesting. A second story is a time I skinny dipped following the Pilot Appreciation Dinner. I did this with two others (who shall remain anonymous) and I think we should do it every year!

Do you have any advice for others?
No matter how comfortable you feel in the water, plan ahead. I've seen people do ridiculously stupid stuff out there while swimming. I've seen friends in some dangerous situations. It's not a place to have an ego, the water is always stronger. It's a different ball game, it's as much psychological as it is physical.

Any accomplishments you'd like to share with us or stuff you do that you're passionate about?
I swim the Trans-Tahoe Relay, the Donner Swim and complete the 100 mile Challenge yearly. I'm willing to teach people how to swim if they'd like. 

What would you like to say to the members of the DC? Either past, present or future?
I derive so much joy and pleasure from this place, I appreciate the comraderie of this club and that it's not competitive necessarily. You can come and do anything here. I've been able to expand the things I do both on the water as well as in the water. It's a very comfortable place to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment